FAQ > PHP
Install a PHP Extension using PECL
MAMP PRO provides you with all the requirements to install PHP Extensions using PECL. This guide shows you how to install a PHP Extension via PECL using the mongodb extension and PHP 8.0.2 as an example.
- Open MAMP PRO and click on the “PHP” entry in the sidebar in the “Languages” area.
- Select the PHP version as “Default version” with which you want to use the MongoDB Extension.
- Activate the “Activate command line shortcuts for the selected PHP version, pear & pecl” checkbox.
- Restart your servers. A PECL alias now exists in your “~/.profile”, “.profile” and “.zprofile” file.
- Open the Terminal app (/Applications/Utilities). Tip: If you have already opened the Terminal app, then you must close and reopen it for the changes to the configuration files “~/.profile”, “.profile” and “.zprofile” to take effect.
- Change to the “/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php8.0.2/bin” directory.
- Enter the following command and confirm your entry with Enter.
pecl install mongodb
If you are shown the message “Cannot find autoconf. Please check your autoconf installation and the
$PHP_AUTOCONFenvironment variable. Then, rerun this script.”, then you need to perform the following steps:
Enter the following commands in the Terminal and confirm each command with Enter. The asterisk at the command
autoconf-*stands for the corresponding version number (for example “2.71”).
curl -OL http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/autoconf/autoconf-latest.tar.gz tar xzf autoconf-latest.tar.gz cd autoconf-* ./configure --prefix=/usr/local make sudo make install
Use the following commands in the Terminal to switch back up one directory level and restart the PHP extension installation process:
cd .. pecl install mongodb
Your PHP Extension should now build and you should see the following result:
Build process completed successfully Installing '/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php8.0.2/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20200930/mongodb.so' install ok: channel://pecl.php.net/mongodb-1.9.1 configuration option "php_ini" is not set to php.ini location You should add "extension=mongodb.so" to php.ini
- A “mongodb.so” extension should now be in your “/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php8.0.2/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-x” folder.
- Switch back to MAMP PRO and select “8.0.2” from the “File > Open Template > PHP (php.ini)” menu.
- The template for the php.ini file of PHP version 8.0.2 is opened. Insert the following line into it:
- Save and close the template.
- Please make sure that the host you want to use is also set to the appropriate PHP version for which you have installed the PHP extension - in our case this is PHP 8.0.2.
- Restart your servers and verify the extension has been loaded by checking phpInfo.